Saturday 7 April 2012

The Last Few Weeks

I was at the airport to come to Austin and I was going through customs and talking to the American officials people and they asked me how long I was staying. 
I said, "indefinitely," and they asked to see my green card. I had lost my green card after getting white-girl-wasted at Manika Gaudet's party with all these amazing people (professional designers, actors, video game honchos, and directors). There is a $450 replacement fee and I could only get $300 from my account so I wasn't allowed on my flight.

I freaked out. I panicked. I was so scared. I had never missed a flight before. I wasted Wade's money and I had closed my lease. I had no where to go. I made some phone calls and no one could help me at 7:00 a.m. at the airport, so I went to the hotel in upstairs YUL and changed clothes, chilled for a minute, doodled in my notebook and waited for myself to react. Then, I went outside and started walking.

I had walked about 2 km when my brother called me. I was hysterical, thinking I am going to be homeless (again). He told me to meet him at his work about 20 km away. I didn't want to pay for a cab because I still wanted to save my money for a replacement green card so I walked that 20 km, uphill, in the snow. No joke. 

What's cool is that I had forgot to bring gloves with me and, along the way, clean gloves just happened to be in front of me on my way, as if people lost them on purpose because they knew I'd need them.

So I'm at my brother's work, a dorm at McGill University, and fell asleep on a couch in the lobby after this butt-blasting workout. I awoke to a girl named Jasper over me, smiling. My ex-girlfriend showed up and sat on the other side of the fireplace. My brother brought me some vegan lasagna.


I stayed with my ex-girlfriend for a little while while things simmered down and I looked for a job to save up enough money to get to Austin. I met a this really cool girl, Chantal, at a coffee shop who was sympathetic to my plight. She said she had an ex-boyfriend who is rarely in town, Dr. Peter Lee (peterleestudios.com). I got a job, broke up with my ex, started dating Jasper, and stayed at Peter's studio condo in the Old Port. Peter came back into town from Hawaii and we became best friends the night after we met.

I also got offered a gallery in September 2014 at Montreal's Georges-Laoun Optician on St. Denis, which was where one of the first vernissages I went to when I got into town 9 months ago. They display great art.

No comments:

Post a Comment